Saturday 4 July 2009

Vegetarian Omelet

It’s been a hectic work week entailed with travel, and I was so looking forward to this weekend. I woke up with a sense of purpose – there was a long to-do list in my mind, and I made myself a strong cup of coffee. An hour later, I had scanned through the newspaper, transferred the to–do list from my mind onto paper, finished the last chapter of the whodunit I had left incomplete last night, and was looking forward to having a full breakfast!

I opened the refrigerator and did not feel like having either eggs or cereal or toast. I then remembered a preparation which my Mom calls the “Vegetarian Omelet” (my parents are strict vegetarians) - a twist to the usual besan chilla (Indian pancakes made of gram flour)

Ingredients:

Besan / Gram Flour: 1 cup
1 small onion (finely chopped)
1 small tomato (finely chopped)
2 slices of bread
Coriander (finely chopped)
Chopped green chili
Salt to taste
A pinch of turmeric
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp

Method:

- Soak the bread slices in water for a few seconds and press them between your palms to squeeze out the water. Mash them with your hands
- Add the bread and other ingredients together in a bowl. Slowly add water to make a batter. Ensure that there are no lumps. The consistency should be medium – so that it falls in lumps when poured
- Heat a tsp of oil (vegetable / sunflower or any other white oil) in a non stick pan / tawa. Spread the oil to coat the pan evenly
- Add 2 – 3 ladles of the batter onto the pan and spread evenly as you would do for making a pancake of medium thickness


- Cook on low heat till the top of the pancake begins to dry
- Flip it over, add another tsp of oil to the sides and cook on low heat. Keep pressing the omelet so that it is cooked evenly
- Flip it again to ensure that both the sides are golden brown.


- Serve hot with your favorite chutney / ketchup


Why I recommend it?
It’s a balance of carbs and protein, and makes a great option for breakfast / brunch

This is also my entry to EFM June – Breakfast Series hosted by Me and My Kitchen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Your views are welcome!